Friday, August 1, 2014

August 1st in Austin Texas

We had a cool front today...Ha Ha.  It was only 72 when I got up, and I sat on the front porch with a cup of coffee.  Went out around 10:30 and it was only 82, was very nice.  Went to the stone yard with hubby, and to the garden center next door to look at plants.  Walked around for awhile.  I'm not saying it wasn't HOT...but it only got up to 91 today, the coolest August 1 since 1998.  Weather guy says we will be in the low 90's this week-end.  Likely the coolest temps we will have until October. 

I love this front porch at the stone yard..very Texas looking, it just needs an armadillo.


The garden center next door, which we drive by weekly, but have never stopped in before, has the kind of local plants you don't find at Lowe's or Home Depot.  We only bought a creeping rosemary for the side yard and one of those lovely chartreuse green sweet potato vines.  But found the Mexican Bird of Paradise, they just didn't have the ones with the yellow blooms that I want. The one with the yellow blooms is actually called Caesalpinia Mexicana and the blooms look like this. 

 We ordered these cute fountain grasses, called Little Bunny. They had already sold every one they had today.
 
They had these lovely wooden arches and a lot of statuary, but I only looked.  I cannot bring home anymore things for the yard, that will eventually have to be moved.  Hard to resist though.





2 comments:

  1. We're having a "cool" day here...a high of only 82º which is a welcome relief from the triple digits we've been having. And we're getting some very light rain which we desperately need.
    I love that Mexican Bird of Paradise! I'll have to see if we can grow it here.
    Stay cool, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it will grow in your area. Mary Ann posted a photo of one in Palm Springs. Pam G posted that she got a plant for one at Ralph's.. Grocery stores here don't carry a good variety of locals.

      Delete