Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Restricted Movement, Small Art

I had my MRI last week. It was a weird experience. Funny, I was not nervous at all on the drive out there. After all, I've had many MRI's before. But...at the place I have been going for several years, I always request the same tech and he makes it a breeze. It takes an hour to get to Dr. C's place, and of course it's commuter traffic. I had taken a pain pill before we left home, and was doing some breathing exercises in the car. I was fine, or so I thought. They checked me right in, then moved me to the area for the injection. The guy who came to get me was really gruff(but he was wearing a cool scrub hat with airplanes on it) and kind of off putting. I was in so much pain that I had to ask him to call someone to help me get my bra undone. This has been an ongoing problem, getting myself dressed and undressed, for a few weeks. The gal who came in was real sweet, but I still had a heck of a time getting into the wrap around robe. Anyhow, all of a sudden just as I was entering the room where they were going to do the procedure, I had a melt-down and started crying and shaking like a leaf. I couldn't explain why..and they all started trying to comfort me, assuming I was scared because this was my first MRI. I felt like a fool, and kept trying to assure them I didn't know why I was crying. Actually, I think I am so darn sick and tired of feeling helpless and in pain! Plus I have been really emotional about my parents lately and all their health issues. So, anyhow, they bring out the big needle and the Dr. was real nice, etc. etc. Then after about 20 minutes they tell me they have to move me to another room for the actual MRI. I'm calmed down by this time, but still dizzy and a wee bit embarrassed. I get escorted out the building and across the parking lot, back to another building. Never had that happen before and it seemed odd...I felt like I was in some surreal dream. I've been having a lot of those lately as a result of pain meds at night. The rest of the procedure was easy. The tech was nice and talked to me through it, but it still wasn't the same as having Johnny O from the other place. After I got out of there, we headed straight for Starbucks. Then I came home and took a nap.

Of course I don't have the results yet, as I have to go IN to get them, and since I haven't been able to drive, have to wait for Hubs schedule to clear. Going on Thursday. But have already scheduled to start Physical Therapy next week. Dr. C says it will help to strengthen before surgery. Can you hear me screaming in pain already?? They are brutal at the PT place.

So, I can show you a couple of small pieces I did last week. I've been sewing little bits of things together, and resurrecting my embroidery skills. It's something I can do that doesn't require a lot of movement. I'm out of practice, but I do love French Knots. These are a little larger than 5x7. The one on the left is for my pal Sue. The girl in the photo is a sweet young model from Dallas whose fashion blog we like to read. Photo is kind of blurry I realize now.


  1. What an ordeal you've been through! I've been thinking of you and wondering how you're doing. I hope the results are good news.

    For all the pain you're having you've still managed to create some beautiful art. I love these!

  2. that crying jag could have been from the dye they injected, did they give you the dye? a mini allergic reaction. hope the results are not that significant which is the best results you could have.