Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Monday Night Movies

I am not a movie critic/reviewer by any stretch of the imagination. In fact I pay little attention to any reviews, because usually if a movie gets really good ones, it is a movie I dislike, and ones that get not so good reviews, it will turn out to be one that Hubby and I like a lot. We don't go out to the movies much, in fact the last one we saw in theatre was Sherlock Holmes. Haven't seen Avatar yet, even though we may. Next theatre movie on our list will be Alice in Wonderland, which comes out in a day or two. But, back to the reason for my post.... We rent a lot from RedBox...it is so convenient and simple. First Monday of the month, we get a free one, and even tho it is only 99 cents...Hub likes to take advantage. So after the Olympics being over, we thought we'd enjoy a movie last night. My first choice was Amelia, then we moved on down from there. Our first 4 choices were already gone! Nothing left but violent action flicks, and insipid comedies. We almost walked away empty handed, then I spied one that had no appeal at all, except for the actors listed. Liam Neeson, Antonio Banderas, Laura Linney. It was called The Other Man, about a wife's affair and the husbands search to find the guy she had the affair with. I find infidelity movies usually pretty distasteful, and Hub turned his nose up as well. But we decided with such good actors to take a chance. After all, it was free, and we didn't have to watch if it turned out to be a dud. Never heard of this movie, it must have been one that went directly to video. Anyhow.....this movie had us on the edge of our seats from the get go. The music was suspenseful, the filming done very well. Suffice it to say, NOTHING in the story was as it seemed. We both liked it a lot, and it may be on our list of ones to re-watch sometime. I like obscure, low budget movies most of the time over the hyped high budget extravaganzas.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that movie either. But I agree with you about many of the low-budget films being better than the big Hollywood hyped ones. I like indy films and ones that slide in under the radar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, for the first time in a long time we have access to free videos as the RV park and have been watching a few and our TV has some free reception too. Some really great educational channels that are interesting. I'll have to keep my eyes open for The Other Man. We watched Fear the other day which was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete